Thursday, August 7, 2008

Cosmetic Surgery for Abby

I took Abby to her 5 year old well child check in December. During the question time I asked the doctor what this growth was on her chin. He told me it was a harry nevus. (I don't think I spelled it right.) He said it is a birth mark that shows up later in life. As it grows it will sprout hair. Not just a little hair, about what is on your eyebrows. He told me I should get it removed for cosmetic reasons. At the start of this summer I took Abby to a plastic surgeon. I figured it was best to get it out before she started school. He told me that more important than looks the harry nevus is very has a high chance of turning to melanoma. We decided to have it removed right away. Here are some pictures from her big day.
I know that this is a crazy picture, but it was the best one to show her growth.
Abby and her grandma Lynette right before surgery. Not everyone gets to take their grandma in with her, but since Lynette works for the the doctor she could go in with Abby. It was wonderful.
Abby later in the day.
This is when we had to change her bandage. When they cut her open the nevus was huge. I guess they grow until you take them out. The doctor said it was like a huge balloon inside her chin. I was really happy we took it out right away.
Abby now. The scar is fading really fast. Much better than a big harry thing sprouting on her face.

5 comments:

Brad and Rebecca said...

oh man! Glad everything went well! Good to see you blogging again!

Michelle and Adam said...

Abby,

I like your chin much better now. Emmalee... How are you doing??? I am thrilled you got into a new house... It's beautiful. I should have told you to buy my house in Saratoga Springs... Dang. Your family looks great! And nice bathroom story Jared\"/ The kids were excited to see the pictures. We'll have to keep in touch. Is Abby excited for school?

Michelle

Cassie said...

So I read your blog entry with Clare on my lap...she was instantly obsessed with Abby's "Owie". She keeps on asking to see the "owie picture" again. Despite my reassurances of recovery, Clare is very worried about Abby. We hope she is doing well!

Patricia said...

Her chin looks so much better!

Heidi said...

Ouch! That looks like it hurt. She looks much better now and I bet it is good to have peace of mind.